What are chemical peels?
Chemical peels deeply exfoliate the skin and accelerate skin cell regeneration, revealing younger, softer, smoother skin. This non-invasive procedure helps minimize fine lines, lighten age spots, reduce acne breakouts and even-out
blotchy, hyper-pigmented skin. At Moxie, we offer both Light and Medium grade peels.
Medium peels can be performed by skin care specialists but still require some time for the skin to recover. Light peels are commonly referred to as “lunch time” peels, because the procedure takes a short time to perform and doesn’t inflame the skin. Quick recovery means no downtime; you can return to work immediately following the procedure.
WHICH CHEMICAL PEEL IS RIGHT FOR ME?
We recommend that you schedule a consultation with one of our experienced staff members. After a personal review of your skin problems and possible solutions, we can better create a treatment regime.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
Peels take 15-30 minutes, depending on the type of peel you are receiving.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT DURING TREATMENT?
During the chemical peel, your esthetician will remove any makeup, save for mascara or eyeliner. It is best to come in with a clean, makeup free face if possible. We will analyze your skin, and the issues you are having; acne, dryness, oily, red, etc. Once we determine which peel is best for you we will apply the first layer of the peel. The peel will have to sit on your face from 5-10 minutes, during which time you will be given a small hand held fan to blow cool air toward your face, as some people may feel a little tingly, this is easily manageable with the fan, and only lasts a couple of minutes. The peel is removed, and we will apply a moisturizer to your face and educate you on after care. Your skin will lightly flake and or peel off over the next 5-7 days. Don’t pick! It is hard to resist picking at your peeling skin, but by doing so you can damage the new baby soft skin underneath. Keep applying moisturizer throughout the day and know it is temporary.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST
A peel ranges from $45 to $90 depending on what type, and intensity of peel you are choosing.
- Absolutely do not go to a tanning salon for at least 3 weeks before or after a treatment.
- Discontinue use of Retin-A, Renova, Differin or any derivative of Vitamin A for 5 days before and after your treatment.
- Most patients who undergo these treatments have minimal redness for 1-12 hours. Due to the nature of these treatments, you may experience light flaking for a couple of days. Your skin may feel tight and dry. Apply moisturizer as frequently as needed.
- Unless recommended by your technician, do not apply topical medications, AHA or BHA products to the area for 5-7 days after your treatment, as they may be irritating.
- It is recommended that you do not apply makeup the day of your treatment. It is ideal to allow the skin to stabilize and rest overnight. Makeup can be applied if necessary.
- Follow your appropriate home care regimen as directed by your technician. Avoid direct sun exposure and excessive heat for at least 7 days (getting overheated internally can cause hyperpigmentation). Always use sunscreen/sunblock for your protection. Do not pick or pull at any loose skin, as this can cause hyperpigmentation or scarring.
- Do not have electrolysis, use chemical depilatories or wax the treated area for at least 7 days.
For the next 2 days:
- Do not apply ice or ice water to the treated areas. Vinegar soaks may be used if needed.
- Do not put the face directly into a hot shower spray. Do not use a steam room, Jacuzzi, or sauna.
- Do not go swimming.
- Do not participate in activities that would cause excessive perspiration.
- Do not use a Buff-Puff or other means of mechanical exfoliation.
- Do not direct a hair dryer onto treated areas.