Laser Hair Removal
Did you know in the average female lifetime a woman will shave over 7,781 times? Men who shave daily will more than double that. Spending more than $10,000 in razors, shaving cream and shaving lotions in the process. Ditch the razor, save time and money and start the laser hair removal process.
Laser Hair Removal is safe and effective solution to everyday shaving, waxing, bleaching or plucking. FDA-cleared, clinically proven treatments for dramatic results. Safe for men and women, head to toe, and virtually pain-free!
Laser Hair Removal – What Equipment is Used?
At Moxie Med Spa, we only use true diode lasers for our laser hair removal services; the Alma Soprano Ice. We have 3 dedicated laser machines at our spa as we perform this service hundreds of times each month to men and women, head to toe.
The Alma Soprano machines have various capabilities. One option we can use what we call an “in-motion” technique allowing the laser to penetrate multiple hair follicles at one time covering large areas in just a matter of minutes.
A second option is what is commonly referred to as a “pulse” method and is used on smaller areas where precise dedication is necessary. The area is condensed and the service may be slightly longer. This is not a method we use often as we have found over the years of using the Alma devices the in motion technology provides the best results.
Who Can Receive Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal can be used on men and women from fair to tanned/olive skin tones who have brown or black hair follicles. The laser is attracted to the melanin in the hair follicles which is why it won’t work on white, silver, gray, blond or red hairs. A test patch is always recommended as many people who have blond or red hair may have the darker hair follicles necessary for the laser to be successful.
The Alma devices are used on various skin types, referred to at Moxie as “Fitzpatrick”. A Fitzpatrick is a useful way to asses your skin type and how it reacts to the sun, or devices that can alter skin color like the Alma or a tanning bed.
Fair to olive/tanned skin types are idea candidates for laser hair removal. Dark skin tones are not typically idea candidates due to the chance of hyperpigmentation of the skin, and the result would be discoloration of the skin. A test patch will be performed to ensure you are a candidate before a session is provided.
We offer laser hair removal to anyone over the age of 18. Teens 14-17 may receive laser hair removal with the accompaniment of a parent/guardian. It is not advised to start laser hair removal until the age of 18 as your body is still in the height of puberty and there is a chance of hair regrowth as you reach the end of your teenage years. With the unlimited hair removal package we offer, the re-growth factor is not a concern and earlier treatments are fine.
What Body Parts Can I Laser?
Laser hair removal can be performed on any external area on the body, excluding eyebrows. We can laser between the eyebrows commonly referred to as the “uni-brow” and to the top of the cheek on the face.
We are well versed in the genital/intimate areas. Men and women there are many folds and wrinkles in the skin that require special attention and skill in order to ensure all hairs are treated. These are common areas that are often avoided though at Moxie it is our specialty and through the thousands of laser hair removal services we have performed we know how to get every nook and cranny safely for the maximum of hair removal.
We also take special precaution of the darker areas around the genital areas to ensure we adjust our settings to avoid the chance for hyperpigmentation, and reduce the risk of burning the skin. Because we can manually adjust the settings, we are proficient in knowing all skin types and the appropriate settings.
Let us reassure you that while laying naked with all your bits and pieces out may feel intimidating at first. we are experts and we know how to ease you into the service feeling comfortable, and within minutes you will forget all about what is happening and we’ll carry on a pleasant conversation with you. By your second our third session you’ll feel much more relaxed and comfortable and any insecurities you have felt will be long gone.
Erections will happen, and they quickly disappear. Don’t make it weird. Farts will happen. Periods will happen. None of these things faze us.
We never, ever judge. We see all shapes and sizes and at Moxie we promote body positivity. We don’t allow negative self talk, or putting yourself down. We all have insecurities. We all deal with weight gain, aging, acne, skin irregularities, and more. Most of us have had a serious skin issue ourselves which led us wanting to get into this field in the first place. If you are every feeling insecure, let us know and we will work through it with you until you’re feeling comfortable.
Pre- and Post-Treatment Instructions for Laser Hair Removal
4 weeks before:
- Do not wax, tweeze, bleach, or use hair removal creams or electrolysis on treatment area. These activities can reduce the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Avoid direct sun exposure. If unavoidable, use minimum SPF 30.
1-2 weeks before:
- Discontinue tanning (includes beds, self-tanning creams and sprays)
24 hours before:
- Shave treatment area
Day of treatment:
- Remove any lotions, make-up and deodorants prior to treatment
- Wear loose fitting clothing that will leave the treatment area exposed and easily accessible for treatment. Tight or rough clothing may cause you to feel uncomfortable if the skin becomes sensitive after treatment.
- You may feel a slight warm or spicy sensation. Because we use an in-motion technology you won’t feel the snapping of a rubber band feel that many IPL or suctions lasers can cause.
- Do not apply numbing cream, we will not treat numbed areas for your safety. Our lasers are virtually pain free and numbing agents are not necessary.
- Avoid sun exposure, tanning beds and creams until your treatments are completed
- Avoid hot showers, saunas, hot tubs, swimming and strenuous sports for 2-3 days following treatment.
- In the unlikely instance that crusting develops, it should fall off naturally. Please do not pick or scratch.
- Do not wax, tweeze, bleach, or use hair removal creams or electrolysis on treatment area until all treatments are completed
- Do not shave treated area for 1 to 3 days post-treatment if crusting or blistering occurs
- Apply a minimum SPF 30 broad spectrum sunscreen
- Treated area may appear red, irritated and swollen (like sunburn). Apply ice packs or cold aloe vera to soothe.
- You may experience “hair shedding” the first few days after treatment which is sometimes mistaken for hair growth
- Can apply makeup, lotion, resume shaving and apply skincare products to treatment area as early as the next day as long as the skin is not broken and there is no extended redness, blistering or scabbing.
- Thoroughly remove makeup and creams gently with a soft, clean cloth and mild cleanser. Pat to dry. The treated area is very delicate and should be treated with care. Excess rubbing can open the area and may lead to scarring.
- If scabbing, blistering or signs of infection occur, please contact provider