Moxie Med Spa, Denver’s First Choice for Hair Removal
At Moxie Med Spa we exclusively use Moxie Sugar Wax, an all natural product made of only lemon juice, water and sugar. We commonly refer to this as “sugaring” rather than waxing. Sugaring and waxing both have the end result of temporarily removing hair from chosen areas on your body.
If you have only used wax for your hair removal – don’t worry! We have more and more customers make the switch from waxing to sugaring every day at Moxie Med Spa. Sugar waxing is quite popular in many states, and is gaining in popularity in Colorado. Due to the abundance of men and women choosing Denver as their new home, we have many people seek us out because we are the best in Colorado.
Our Sugar wax is actually a product that was created by the owner of Moxie, and her husband. Moxie Sugar Wax has gained in popularity throughout the US and is sold through distributors to beauty professionals nationwide. We are proud to use a product that is made and manufactured right here in Colorado creating jobs and revenue that are put right back into the community we love.
Rates are available on our website here.
Sugaring Membership Available!
We want to make the hair removal process as easy and affordable for our Moxie clients who want to make sugaring a monthly benefit to their lives and have a variety of memberships available to fit everyone’s needs.
How is sugar different than wax?
- Sugaring is an all natural product made of only three ingredients: lemon juice, water and sugar. There are no harmful chemicals, dyes, perfumes, fillers or oils added to the sugar. Our sugar wax is non-toxic and cruelty free.
- Sugaring is not hot as some waxes can be. We actually use our gloved hands to apply the sugar to the skin, so it cannot be too hot or our hands would burn. We do heat the sugar in a warmer, but it is only to keep the sugar soft enough to use. The warmer doesn’t heat the sugar much warmer than room temperature to ensure that the integrity of your skin is never compromised.
- Sugar wax only sticks to hair, not skin. While we are removing your hair follicle we are gently exfoliating the top layer of your skin. This is why sugaring is safe for all skin types, even the fairest of skin. We are no damaging any part of the dermis with out product or technique. Any redness that occurs dissipates within minutes.
- The sugar lubricates the hair follicle while it is being applied so that when the hair is pulled out, it comes out more easily and at the root. There is a technique that we can use the sugar in a circular motion and the sugar will grab out the small little stubble ensuring a complete hair removal with no hairs left behind.
- The way that the sugar is removed (we call it a ‘flick’) has less chance of the hair breaking off (that can occur with traditional wax) and more chance of getting the hair out by the root. Plus we pull the hair out in the direction that the hair grows, rather than against it like traditional waxing. This greatly reduces and even can eliminate the ingrown and irritation you can get from traditional waxing.
Sugaring lasts longer. We did a comparison between the hard wax, traditional wax, and sugar and saw a noticeable difference after a couple weeks. The side that was sugared had less hair growing back in. This is a result from the sugar grabbing more hair and not breaking the hairs off.
Sugar is natural. The only ingredients are sugar, lemon juice, and water. It is safe, non-toxic and does not include perfumes, dyes, chemicals or fillers.
Pre & Post Care Instructions
It is extremely important to read these cautions before getting a service. Please be aware that sugaring deeply exfoliates the skin.
- Sunburned, irritated or areas with open skin cannot be sugared.
- Moles cannot be sugared. We can, however, sugar around the mole.
- You must wait a minimum of seven (7) days before sugaring after a light chemical peel or microdermabrasion.
- Sugaring cannot be performed if you have been in a tanning booth the same day.
- Sugaring cannot be performed if you have had laser skin resurfacing within the past year.
- Sugaring cannot be performed if you have had a physician administered peel within the past two (2) years.
- No sun/tanning booths for 2 days after a sugaring treatment. Extra precaution should be taken if using tanning accelerators. Wait 2-3 days sugar before/after tanning with accelerators. Of course, we always recommend the use of sunscreen for sun exposure.
- Women may experience extra sensitivity to sugaring up to a week prior to the beginning of their period.
Your first 3 appointments are the most important
To see the best results, it is important that your first 3 sugaring sessions be booked close together, no more than a month between each appointment. These appointments will be the most effective at softening and reducing hair growth. After 3 consecutive treatments your overall hair density will be lowered and the stubborn coarse hair will be diminished.
If you are considering sugaring in preparation for a specific event (a wedding, vacation, or summer season) it is optimal if you booking your appointments 6-9 months before. This will give you the best results. Sugaring treatments done regularly lead to less painful treatments, and more thorough removal of hair. It allows slower growth and it can lead to permanent reduction of growth.
Pre Care Instructions:
- Schedule your sugar appointment for a time that is convenient for you, when you can relax a bit before and after.
- Hair must be at least 1/4′ long (no shaving within 10-12 days prior, no waxing within 2 weeks prior, no sugaring 3 weeks prior).
- Hair should not be excessively long (4-5 weeks without shaving is too long). We ask you to please trim back SLIGHTLY for your comfort, prior to your appointments. If one of our practitioners have to trim there will be an extra charge for that.
- Please come with clean dry skin. Avoid using any powders, cream or lotions to the area being sugared the day of your treatment. We do have complimentary personal wipes for you to use at the time of your service.
- For best results, do not exfoliate the day before, the day of, or the day after.
- Do not use razors or depilatory creams between treatments, as this will interfere with your goal to refine and diminish your hair growth, and to have smooth, healthy skin.
- Remember extraction of the hair at 1/8″ or less on a regular basis leads to permanency.
- Avoid direct heat such as hot baths, or sun tanning the day of your treatment.
- If you’re new to Body Sugaring or you haven’t been sugared in a while, stop shaving or using any other method of hair removal to 10 days before your service.
- There is no need to let your hair grow out for several weeks before sugaring. If longer than ½ inch, trimming before your appointment can make your sugaring session more comfortable. If your hair is longer than an inch in length an additional $10 will be applied for us to trim.
- On the day of treatment, get excited; your about to start a very hair-free part of your life!
Post Care Instructions:
- We recommend waiting 24-48 hours before exposing your skin to the sun, tanning beds or infrared lamps.
- To avoid irritation, keep the skin clean and free of harsh lotions or products for 24-48 hrs.
- Do not exercise immediately following treatment.
- No hot baths or showers for 24 hours following a body sugaring treatment.
- No abrasives or exfoliating for 48 hours following a sugaring treatment.
- Slight pinking of the skin is normal and should disappear within a few hours. for To avoid irritation, keep the skin clean and avoid perfume soaps, deodorant or products with chemical irritants for 24 hours.
- After 48 hours you can begin to exfoliate 2-3 times a week in the shower or bath. Exfoliation promotes circulation and most importantly, frees the skin of excess build-up which often results in ingrown hair. Exfoliating allows the sugaring treatment to be less troublesome and results in a timely session as dead or dry skin can accumulate.
- Regularly cleanse and hydrate your skin. This will ensure your skin is in the best possible condition before and after treatment.
- To get the best results from sugaring, its best to remove hair during the anagen stage(1st stage). This is typically 3-6 weeks after your last appointment, but can vary from person to person.
- Enjoy your smooth silky skin.